Carteret County BWI Lawyers
Boating While Intoxicated Laws in North Carolina
North Carolina has specific laws for operating a motorboat or vessel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. These boating under the influence (BUI) laws also address water skis, surfboards, and nonmotorized vessels (sailboats, paddleboats).
As such, an individual can face BUI charges if they:
- operate a vessel while under the influence of an impairing substance; or
- have an alcohol concentration of .08% or more at any time while boating.
At Cummings & Kennedy Law Firm, PLLC, we take all our clients’ cases very seriously. Attorney Joe Kennedy has more than 14 years of experience as a former prosecutor and criminal defender. As a result, he has both the skills and relationships necessary to defend you against your boating under the influence charge – Attorney Kennedy can strategize a defense in anticipation of the prosecution’s case and put his prosecutorial relationships to use. Whether you have been charged with a misdemeanor or felony BUI in Carteret County, our firm can defend you steadfastly.
What are the Penalties for BUI in North Carolina?
In general, North Carolina charges BUIs as Class 2 misdemeanors punishable by $250-$1,000 in fines and up to 60 days in jail. Judges more commonly may sentence offenders to supervised or unsupervised probation and order a fine.
In the presence of the following aggravating factors, the offender could face enhanced penalties:
- Serious injury by impaired boating – Class F felony punishable by 10-41 months in prison
- Aggravated serious injury by impaired boating (with prior conviction within 7 years) – Class E felony that carries 15-63 months in prison
- Death by impaired boating – Class D felony that carries 38-160 months in prison
- Aggravated death by impaired boating (with prior conviction within 7 years) – aggravated Class D felony that carries 64-160 months in prison
- Repeat offense for death by impaired boating – Class B2 felony that carries 94-393 months in prison
Contact Cummings & Kennedy Law Firm, PLLC for Legal Help
If you have been charged with boating under the influence in Carteret County, contact our team at Cummings & Kennedy Law Firm, PLLC for legal representation immediately. Our attorneys are well-versed in BUI law and will put our years of experience to work as we defend you against your charges. We can argue for a mitigation of aggravated charges or even an entire dismissal of your case, if possible.
“When I got my DWI, the day after I immediately Googled the best lawyers down in Beaufort, NC. Cummings & Kennedy Law Firm was the first one to pop up.”
“Everyone I spoke to was extremely helpful and put my mind at ease.”
“My specific case took several years and at no moment did I think Mr. Kennedy did not have my best interest at heart.”
“From the beginning the paralegal or secretary was cheerful, helpful, quick and made this as efficient as possible!!!! Thank you ,thank you! Didn’t even have to go to court paid over the phone thank you so much!”
“He was super nice, professional, and knowledgeable. After all his hard work I’m sitting here right now with no dwi convection. Thank you so much!”
In-House Medical Advisor & Investigator
Strong Relationships with Local Judges & Prosecutors
Thousands of Cases Successfully Handled
Continuous Generations of Attorneys Since 1995